Tuesday, December 23, 2014

One month away....

Well, December has flown by.  Wrapping up the semester at school and preparing for Christmas have been quite busy, but my mind wanders so often to my upcoming trip.  I leave one month from today! (Well, now it's yesterday...my typing went past midnight.)

I had been planning to beef up my research and preparation once school was out, so this weekend, I got going.  I love Netflix, and I have found some very good Holocaust documentaries there.  This weekend, I finished the BBC series called Auschwitz: Inside the Nazi State.     I think I will likely re-watch some segments again this month. I want to have clear mental images of the grounds of the camp from 70 years ago.  I want to remember important names and stories.

Then, I watched an intriguing documentary called Hitler's Children.  This film tracks the descendents of some powerful members of the Nazi Party.  They share their stories of dealing with the horrible crimes committed by their parents and grandparents.  One particularly interesting segment was when the grandson of the commandant of Auschwitz went to the camp to see where his now-estranged father had grown up.  He was somehow given the opportunity to speak with a group of Jewish students who were visiting that day.  Their exchange was powerful and moving.  This film explored an aspect of the Holocaust that I hadn't really considered.  I almost turned it off after a few minutes, but I'm glad I finished it.

Next up was a film called Forgiving Dr. Mengele.  It is the story of Holocaust survivor Eva Kor and her personal journey of forgiveness in an effort to find peace.  She and her twin sister, Miriam, were among the twins on whom Dr. Mengele experimented at Auschwitz.  Although many survivors strongly disagree with her approach, Mrs. Kors believes that forgiving helped her be free.

Finally, I watched Paper Clips.  This film is about the paper clip project at Whitwell Middle School in Whitwell, Tennessee.  This school is only about an hour from my home, and I have been interested in this project for many years.  I plan to contact the school during break, and I hope to be able to visit there prior to my trip.   Practically, I enjoyed seeing how teachers, students, school administrators, and an entire community - a rural area in the south - were determined to create a meaningful and lasting tribute to keep the memory of the victims of the Holocaust alive.  I hope to share this film with my students.

So, that was my weekend viewing.  There is much more to see and do in the next month.   

As far as trip planning is concerned, I've got to make some decisions about a boot purchase and a coat purchase.  I had an unsuccessful shopping trip to Chattanooga today, so I suppose I'll turn to online shopping.  I think I've looked at 400 pairs of snow boots online.  I was hoping to try on a few pairs today, but alas, none of the few I saw were very appealing.  

The to-do list is getting full, but that just means the trip is closer to reality! 




No comments:

Post a Comment