Monday, January 19, 2015

A Generation of Tolerance


Nelson Mandela said, "No one is born hating another person because of the color of his skin, or his background, or his religion.  People must learn to hate, and if they can learn to hate, they can be taught to love, for love comes more naturally to the human heart than its opposite."

Isn't this true?

Since today is Martin Luther King Day, there has been quite a lot of media about the Civil Rights Movement.  I find it interesting that there is just over a week between Martin Luther King, Jr. day and Holocaust Remembrance Day.

There is really no way to compare the oppression of one people group to that of another, and I will certainly not attempt to do so.   However, since my mind has been so focused on my trip, and since the media is so attentively covering today's holiday, I have made some connections that some of you may make, too.

I grew up about a generation removed from segregation.  I remember stories of "how things were," and, of course, there are still fairly segregated neighborhoods here.  However, I don't recall very much, if any, real racial tension in my community, and for that, I am thankful.

You see, I'm one of those folks who wishes the field for "RACE" would be eliminated from all forms.  In my less-than-political mind, if we are going to make things equal, then leave race out of it.  Leave it off of school enrollment forms and the census.  I know that there are reasons for filling out that part of a form, but I've always wondered what would happen if we just eliminated that field.

I recall looking up census data a year or two ago after my students read the essay "Melting Pot" by Anna Quindlen.  It really centers on the idea of the different cultures and ethnic groups that are found in America.  I found this headline, "2010 Census Shows Multiple-Race Population Grew Faster Than Single-Race Population."  The article (linked here) notes that the option to select multiple races first appeared on a census in 2000. Wow.

That population growth, though, wasn't really a surprise to me.  Every day, I look out into a classroom full of a rainbow of students.  I teach students who don't understand the Rosa Parks story. Here, in Alabama, just fifty years after the Civil Rights movement, I have students of all colors who do not understand the history of the segregated South.  They can't understand why fifty years ago they would've gone to different schools or why their lives would have been in danger because their parents came from different races.  They roll their eyes when I give them a lecture when they use the word "racist" in a joking way.  They really don't understand the deep roots of that word, because really, I have very few, if any, students who I believe would truly identify themselves as racist.  I am pleased to be teaching a generation of students who seem to be "color blind."

Just as students have a difficult time understanding Jim Crow Laws and racial intolerance here at home, they are similarly confused by the degree of hate and intolerance of the Nazi party.  The most frequent question students ask is "Why did the Nazis hate the Jews?"

In an earlier post, I noted that the "why" questions are difficult to answer, but for this, I will give at least PART of an answer. . . and the answer could be applied to almost any question about why one group hates another.

They were taught to hate.

I think it is promising that most of my students do not harbor hate. I know many families (mine included) that consider "hate" a bad word.  We don't use it.  It's dangerous.  Yoda, wise Jedi master in the Star Wars series, noted, "Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering."

We can see that truth as evidenced in the Holocaust and as shown through the Civil Rights Movement here in the United States.   When we fear for our lives, our homes, or our property, our defenses are heightened.  However, that fear, in the hands of powerful people, can be twisted and used in evil ways.  Leaders throughout history used fear and propaganda to stir up hate.  Parents warned their children of the "danger" and encouraged hate. And absolutely, hate led to suffering.

Does racism still exist?  Of course it does.  However, I am hopeful that today's generation will be a generation of tolerance.  The more they learn about the atrocities of the past, the more they are empowered to prevent them from ever happening again.

So today, as we focus on our nation's great Civil Rights champion, I will leave you with these wise words from Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.,  "I have decided to stick with love.  Hate is too great a burden to bear."















13 comments:

  1. At first, I was skeptical that humans learn to hate. After reading this blog entry, you laid out some things that I have never thought of and really made me think!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post. I agree with you on this topic. I also think, as mentioned above, "today's generation will be a generation of tolerance." This future generation of leaders should be better equipped to prevent the awful shows of racism that happened in the past.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post. I especially like the quotes you chose to include. You really opened my eyes on this subject, and offered new ideas I had never thought of.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I completely agree with your post that today's generation is "color blind" and we should be thankful that we don't shut people out because of their race or beliefs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The thought of people being taught to hate made me think about how true that really is. I don't think I've ever seen a child hate something, but as soon as their parent or someone close said something about hating anything, they changed their mind instantly.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This blog made me realize how strong of an emotion hate can be. I agree with this blog for when it says how we should learn about the past and how hate became so wretched.
    This blog is really insightful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the Mandela quote at the beginning and definitely agree! I also think its great you're teaching students the true definition of the word racism and that they should take it seriously. I couldn't agree more with your viewpoint on this topic.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you Mrs. Woods for portraying how hatred can lead to anger which can result in suffering. Many of your ideas of racism truly inspired me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The concept of children being taught to hate is a good way of portraying the south in the 20th century. I have read many articles about children not understanding the reasons for segregation. In the movie "Remember the Titans", one of the white football players befriends a black boy, and his mother is disgusted by his choices.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is a great post! It portrays how hatred and anger are related to racism.

    ReplyDelete



  12. This post really shows how people are never born with racism, and how they must learn to hate from experiences or maybe what they were taught growing up that it was the right thing

    ReplyDelete
  13. This post really shows how hate is such a strong emotion in today's society. Your thoughts on racism are truly inspirational. I admire your viewpoint in this moving article. Congratulations on being selected your posts rock Mrs. Woods!

    ReplyDelete