Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Reflections and thank you

I'm on the ground in Washington, D.C.  Yes, I'm completely exhausted.... We packed a lot of learning into four days.  I think I slept one hour overnight on Tuesday, but I sleep almost the entire time on the flight from Frankfurt to here.  

However, I do want to take this opportunity to thank some people as I reflect on this monumental experience.

First, thank you to my coworkers, administrators, and school system for allowing me to have this chance.  It has definitely changed me, and I know it will impact my teaching.

Next, thank you to all the amazing staff from the USC Shoah Foundation and Discovery Ed.  What professionals you all are!  You are definitely leading the way for educators to have easily accessible and relevant information that will engage students in this digital age.  It was a pleasure to work with all of you!   USC Shoah Foindation staff... Kori, Kay, Jenna, Claudia, Dave, Lesly, Francesca, Anna, Andrea, Brandon, Michelle, Liz and and Disvovery Ed folks...Lori, Jodi, Greg, Robin, Tahia (and I'm sure my exhaustion is causing me to forget some!!) Thank you for allowing me to be a part of your amazing program.  (And Disvovery staff on my DC flight.... I'm so sad that I didn't get to say goodbye!  Tell Lacey I want to keep in touch!)

Thank you to all my new friends.... The teachers, staff, leadership, and junior interns who were involved in Auschwitz: The Past is Present.   I am overwhelmed by your professionalism and passion for what you do.  Teachers, making connections with you all and creating this network has been invaluable.  I certainly hope we can keep in touch! 


Very importantly, thank you to my family.  Matt, you have supported me 100% throughout this adventure, and I am grateful.  You've persevered through your dad's surgery, a bout of the stomach bug for Blake, and probably a long list of other stuff you haven't shared with me yet.  I love you!  Kids, I sure have missed your faces, and your video this morning was the best yet!

Friends, thank you for all your words of encouragement.  Thank you especially to the Groghans and Sissy who have been unbelievably willing to help with the kiddos in my absence.  I have loved reading everyone's comments on my blog.  

Students, thank you for your encouragement and excitement.  I cannot wait to share this  experience with you in person!

Thank you to all of you who helped me complete the application and video process.  Thank you so much to the Breeds and Rigdons for your help with my gifts. Thank you to everyone who made that successful!  

Thank you to John Guice, my librarian, who first wanted to apply for this trip but could not due to not having a passport.  I am so grateful that you shared the information with me!

Thank you to all my friends and family who prayed for my safety.  Prayers work!

Thank you to all of my blog readers.  I hope to continue writing regularly.... But I don't want to bombard you.... So, after next week, I'll be making some decisions about how my blog will proceed.  

Again, this has been an amazing trip that I will never forget.  I have learned so much about the importance of authentic sites, the way we commemorate and memorialize places and people and events, and how to integrate those things  in my classroom though state-of-the-art technology. 


This has been a trip I will never forget, and I am so thankful to have been a part of such an important and amazing event!



No comments:

Post a Comment