Tuesday, January 13, 2015

It begins with me.

What is a theme?

Well, in literature, theme is often defined as the overall message of a text that can be applied to other works of literature, film, etc.  Themes are not expressly stated, but they are ideas that are generated through the actions of characters, the setting of the story, etc.

This year, I was challenged that instead of a New Year's resolution, I choose a theme word for the year.  I had never really thought much about what my "theme" is.

Sure, I know a lot about my CHARACTER - I have done quite a bit of research about my personality traits (I'm an ESFJ on the Myers-Briggs - and I'm like really ESFJ.)  I can certainly articulate qualities - both good and bad - about myself.  I tend to be exceedingly talkative, uncomfortable with conflict, and schedule-dependent.  I am fiercely loyal, people-oriented, and reliable.  Even though I do not subscribe any truth to a horoscope, I remember a Garfield sleep-shirt from my childhood that read "A Capricorn is ambitious, cautious, and practical - not exactly the life of the party."  There is some truth to that, too.

So, I feel like I know WHO I am, and if I was a character, I could list my character traits.  But, my theme?  What would my theme be?  What would I even want my theme to be?

One word kept coming to my mind.

Peace.

Our Christmas theme-song this year at church was "Let there be Peace on Earth." (Click to sing along with this great video I found on YouTube!) I guess that's why my mind immediately went to that word.  I want to have peace within myself, peace in my family, peace in my church, school, community, and - not to sound too cliche - peace in the world.  I don't want to live in a state of turmoil in any part of my life.

Now, as a part of the USC Shoah Foundation's Social Media Campaign to commemorate Auschwitz 70, they have created #BeginsWithMe Here is their description: - using the power of testimony and the lessons of the Holocaust to inspire personal action in the days leading to the 70th anniversary of the liberation of Auschwitz.  Please help us make #BeginsWithMe a success.  By including your voice, you will be part of a movement that spreads the message that each one of us has the power to help create a climate that prevents a genocide and other forms of inhumanity that affect us all.

My theme seems to be taking shape.  If you don't know, the last line of our Christmas theme song is "Let there be peace on earth, and let it begin with me."  So, when the Shoah Foundation launched their campaign, I felt confident that I had chosen wisely.  They had linked for me my "theme word of the year" with my participation in Auschwitz: Past is Present.  I then realized that my word and their campaign could be the theme for my classroom as I prepare for the trip.

So, how do I apply my theme to my classroom?  How does peace begin with me?

"Teachers open the door, but you must enter by yourself," is a Chinese proverb that I hope reflects my part of #beginswithme.  There are definitely days when I am sure my students are ready for me to talk about something other than the Holocaust, but until this trip is complete, it's my focus.  However, through this trip - where I will get to visit authentic sites and meet survivors in person, and through IWitness - where students and teachers can interact with testimony from survivors and liberators, I hope I am opening a door for students to walk through.

They begin to walk down that path as we learn from survivor's testimonies on IWitness. They are amazed by the lack of tolerance.   The dehumanization of prisoners appalls them.  The horrors they are learning about are often beyond their comprehension.   I see their faces - full of shock, anger, confusion - and I'm glad to see those expressions. They have so many questions, and their questions start with "Why?"  "Why" questions are my favorite.  I like them because so often there are a multitude of answers.  I like them because they are deeper than the "who, what, when, and where" questions.  I like them, because to find the real answer, we must dig a little deeper, read a little longer, watch a little more.  The answers to the "why" questions, especially about the Holocaust, are not quickly or easily answered.

I've told friends that I have been on a horrible sleep pattern since the break.  I stay up entirely too late at night reading, watching, linking. . .I find myself going off on some tangent trying to find an answer to a question that popped into my mind after reading or watching something.   I have now added the questions from my students into that research trail.   There are just so many questions. . . and I like finding answers.  I want to inspire my students to do the same thing.

Back to theme - So, in my classroom, I certainly hope that peace will begin with me.  I hope my students are learning about the atrocities of war, oppression, intolerance, and genocide.  I hope that they will remember these stories and remember the devastation that comes from such things.  I want them to seek peace.  I want them to strive for peace in their homes and among their friends.  I want them to seek peace between races and religions.  I want them to recognize that conflicts can be resolved without acts of hatred or violence.  I want them to realize that disagreements don't always have to lead down a path of destruction.

I invite you to follow #beginswithme to see what others are doing.  How does it begin with you?  I challenge you to add your own inspiration encouraging a climate of tolerance and appreciation of humanity.

2 comments:

  1. You are definitely ESFJ, but that is why everyone that knows you...loves you! Very good blog! I love all the hyperlinks and media links. I'm excited for you, and I can't wait to hear about your trip when you return. I pray for a safe trip for you and all the participants.

    ReplyDelete

  2. First off, I would like to say I am super happy for you to have such a great opportunity! I love following your blog. Your theme instead of a New Years resolution one made me think. Peace is a very broad, excellent theme. I honestly don't think you could have picked a better one. Peace within oneself and striving for peace in every aspect is something I connected with. I identify with you as a peaceful person.
    "To take each moment, and live each moment in peace eternally. Let there be peace on earth, and let it begin with me."

    ReplyDelete