Friday, January 23, 2015

Thursday Travel/Friday in Warsaw

Well, I found the “relaxation music” channel, and frogs croaked me to sleep for a few hours.  It was definitely nice to have a little extra space!  Now that I’m awake, here is the current flight data information.

I just crossed the United Kingdom; it appears that we flew north of London and are now flying southeast somehow generally between Brussels, Belgium, and Amsterdam, Netherlands.  Munich, my destination for this flight, which is located in southern Germany,  is 1:07 away...

Current local time:  8:18
Current time at home: 1:18
Land speed:  648547
Altitude:  34889
Distance to destination 532mph
Outside air temperature: -68F
Local time at arrival:  9:23
Time of arrival at home: 2:23




It is really neat to see that the map has changed to show that North America and South America are currently dark, while Europe, Asia, and Africa are waking up!  



There appears to be a thin layer or cottony clouds just below me, and the pink sky on the horizon is breathtakingly beautiful.  




So, inflatable pillow was sort of a hassle as the plug kept popping open.  (Maybe that was the problem for the Patriots??  Oh, wait, there aren’t plugs like that on footballs.)  ANYWAY, I got that resolved and the sounds of nature lulled me to sleep.  It is nice to wake up to see such a beautiful sky! I’m now storing my slippers and pillow and I believe they will begin breakfast service soon.  There is a steady stream of people headed to the bathroom, and I’ll head that way to brush my teeth shortly.  

An interesting flight attendant just passed me.  I think she is fluent in multiple languages.  Based on what I’veheard, I think she likely speaks English (USA) as her first language, but she also seems to speak Italian, German, and Spanish.  What a gift!  


So, let’s see what’s for breakfast. . .I really hope that they are rolling the Diet Cokes on the morning cart!  Breakfast is a warm croissant with butter and jam, and a fruit tray.  The croissant smells delicious.  The Flat Cats were excited about breakfast, too!

Up next:  Arrival in Munich where I should have only a passport check.  I will change planes (airlines, too) and be on my way to Warsaw in a short while.

My first European passport stamp!
I've waited a long time for this one!
Below is my video reaction.

Flight from Munich to Warsaw was quick and easy.  About 12 members of our group were in Munich, so it was nice to begin meeting everyone.  We had a light lunch on our Lufthansa flight.   When we arrived at the airport in Warsaw, we disembarked, made a quick stop for luggage, and headed on our way.  We did not have our bags screened at all.  I’m not sure why, but I was thankful for that. Airport Scenes - Weather is wet and dreary, but it isn't terribly cold.



Scenes on the drive in to Warsaw and on our afternoon walk around the city center.

Statue of Charles de Gaulle
Candy making

 
Yes, Ferrari!
....and Rolex!







               
We headed by bus to the MercureGrand Hotel here in Warsaw.  We each got our room assignments, and most of us are located on the third floor.  I have a nice room all to myself.  I have just returned from about an hour of exploring with a few members of the group.  I’m beginning to get tired, but I’m trying very hard to stay awake.  We have a meeting in about an hour, then we will have supper.
2 hours later. . .

We just finished an awesome introductory session where we got to meet some of the staff from the USC Shoah Foundation and Discovery Education.  I was so excited to meet some of the people I’ve been seeing in photos and through IWitness.  I was also glad to have time to talk with the representatives from Discovery Education about their content that I use in my classroom already.  The teachers I’m meeting are just outstanding.  (Many have led student groups around the world through groups like EF and Discovery, and that’s certainly something I’m interested in doing - so, moms and dads who are interested, please let me know!! )  A survivor was also present with us in the group, as was one of the high-ranking leaders at the new Polin Museum of the History of the Polish Jews.

It is now 7:35 here - 12:35 at home. I am ready to settle in for the night.  I’m totally exhausted.  Thank you for praying and supporting and encouraging me in this endeavor.  I know that in the last 24 hours, I’ve met some pretty amazing people who do very amazing work.  I look forward to a busy day of learning tomorrow.
More from me tomorrow!

2 comments:

  1. I can't sleep!
    But I'm so glad we finally met in person and that we are both in a group together...
    Tomorrow will be beautifully intense!
    Please teach me how to put multiple photos on a row! Thanks....

    ReplyDelete
  2. So exciting!! Love your daily blogging detail! Can't wait to hear more!!

    ReplyDelete